Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Repairing XP Boot file

About an hour ago, my sister came to me complaining her XP doesn't start! It gives an error message which roughly says it can't find boot file at C:\Windows location. Right then I knew its a mess, definitely the boot.ini has been deleted. So I asked what happened? The initial story was, there was load shedding, when power supply resumed and the PC was tried to turn on, the message kept on appearing. Then she said, she wrote this code yesterday which deletes files and it deleted lots of files in C: drive and she thought its no big deal since the OS is installed in E: drive. By then I figured out whats wrong, I replied although the XP is installed in E: drive, the boot file is in C: drive and now the PC can't find the boot file, thus no start up.

Anyway, despite my initial thought this would be a tough task, it turned out to be an easy one! I used XP installation CD, selected repair option, then typed \help in the command prompt, there was help on command \bootcfg, I knew I was in the right place, I used the \rebuild command, I didn't understand some of the queries of the command, so googled and came up with this about.com article, a handy one, which solved my problem. Below is the link:

Repair or Replace boot.ini file in Windows XP

I thought I might share in case anyone faces similar problem.



No comments: